Thomas L. Veith
- Family, Matrimonial, Domestic Relations
- Municipal Law
- Wills, Trusts, Estate Planning, Estate Administration
- Real Estate
- Tax Preparation
- Business & Banking / Commercial
- General / Other
Thomas L. Veith joined Bellatti, Fay, Bellatti & Beard in 1990, and became a partner in 1993.
Tom graduated from Illinois College with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Accounting (summa cum laude 1986). While at Illinois College, he sat for the CPA exam, which he passed in May, 1986. He received his Juris Doctor from the University of North Carolina in 1989.
In 1988, Tom clerked with the law firm of Cain, Hibbard, Myers & Cook in Pittsfield, Massachusetts. He then joined that firm as an associate in 1989. While there, he concentrated primarily in litigation with a special emphasis on insurance defense.
Tom is a general practitioner. He has an extensive collection practice representing local and area businesses in Morgan, Scott, Cass, Pike, Brown and Schuyler Counties. He is also willing to serve as local counsel for other collection attorneys to alleviate time-consuming travel. Over the years, he has developed an extensive municipal practice. He prosecutes ordinance violations for the Cities of Jacksonville and Beardstown. He serves as the Attorney for the Village of Ashland and City of Virginia.
Tom practices estate planning, will and trust preparation, and trust and estate administration. This practice includes individual and estate and trust tax analysis and preparation.
Additionally, his practice includes matrimonial and family law. He has assisted husbands and wives through the difficult process of divorce, as well as representing parents in child custody, visitation, paternity, child support, and college educational expense matters. From time to time he has aided victims of domestic abuse with orders of protection. The scope of his practice includes real estate law, business law, and collegiate law.
Tom holds weekday appointments in Jacksonville. He also sees clients at West Central Bank in Ashland every Thursday morning. He has accepted referrals from the Midwest Center on Law and the Deaf.
Tom is a member of both the Morgan County Bar Association, for which he served as president in 2001, and the Illinois State Bar Association. He is a past member of the Massachusetts State and Berkshire County (Massachusetts) Bar Associations.
Tom has served the Jacksonville community on various boards and committees. These include the Crisis Center Foundation, the Wells Center, the Illinois Foundation for Deaf Children, and the Nursery School. He currently serves on the Board of Directors for Passavant Area Hospital, where he has held the offices of Treasurer, Vice Chair, and Chairman of the Board. He taught Business Law at Illinois College from 1995 - 2015. Occasionally he has given seminars on special needs trusts to parents of disabled children at the Illinois School for the Visually Impaired.
- University of North Carolina School of Law, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- Juris Doctor - 1989
- Illinois College, Jacksonville, Illinois
- Bachelor of Arts - 1986
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Major: Accounting
- Illinois, 1991
- Massachusetts, 1989
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois, 1990
Classes & Seminars
- Lecturer, Business Law, Illinois College, 1995 to 2015
- Family Law matters with Land of Lincoln Legal Services
- Crisis Center Foundation, Past Board Member
- Wells Center, Past Board Member
- Illinois Foundation for Deaf Children, Past Board Member
- The Nursery School, Past Board Member
- Passavant Area Hospital Board of Directors, Member; Chairman, 2019 to 2021
- City of Jacksonville (Assistant Attorney)
- Illinois College
- Village of Ashland (Attorney)
- Prairieland FS, Inc.
- West Central Bank
- Lincoln Land Animal Clinic, Ltd.
- City of Beardstown (Assistant Attorney)
- City of Virginia
- Cain, Hibbard, Myers & Cook in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, Summer Clerk, 1988
- Cain, Hibbard, Myers & Cook in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, Associate, 1989
Fraternities or Sororities
- Sigma Pi
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member, 1991 to Present
- Morgan County Bar Association, Member, 1991 to Present
- Morgan County Bar Association, President, 2001 to 2001
- Massachusetts Bar Association, Member, 1990 to 1990
- Berkshire County (Massachusetts) Bar Association, Member, 1990 to 1990
Current Employment Position
- Partner, 1993